Here are a few links to enjoy as you celebrate Abraham Lincoln’s 203rd birthday.
- Here’s an interesting piece on Lincoln’s changing image in popular culture.
- Contrary to widespread belief, Lincoln’s birthday is not commemorated in any official national holiday. The Christian Science Monitor explains why.
- Does the GOP still wear the mantle of its first president? The chairman of Delaware’s Republican State Committee says yes, while Jackie Hogan argues that Lincoln would be a hard sell among today’s Republicans.
- California kindergarten students find memorizing the Gettysburg Address to be nothing they can’t handle.
- A supposed portrait of Mary Todd Lincoln that one adorned the governor’s mansion in Springfield, IL was, as it turns out, created to defraud Lincoln’s descendants.
- Finally, here’s a report on the new Center for Education and Leadership, which opens this month as the latest addition to Ford’s Theatre.